What is a Nurse Practitioner (NP)?
A Nurse Practitioner is a registered nurse who has advanced education and clinical training in a health care specialty. Most Nurse Practitioners have national certification in their area of expertise. Nurse Practitioners serve as primary health care providers for children and adults during health and illness. Their goal is to help people of all ages stay as healthy as possible. They do this by teaching people and treating their acute illnesses (such as infections) and chronic disease (such as diabetes).
Infographic about Nurse Practitioners
Nurse Practitioner 101
What can a Nurse Practitioner do?
• Physical examination, treatment & procedures
• Order and interpret laboratory and diagnostic studies
• Family planning service
• Healthcare during pregnancy
• Well/sick care for all ages
• Health risk evaluation
• Psychological counseling
• Coordination of health care services
• Health education
Can Nurse Practitioners prescribe medications?
Yes. How a Nurse Practitioner prescribes medications is regulated by each state's Nurse Practice Act. In Texas, Nurse Practitioners have prescriptive authority through written agreements with a collaborating physician.
Why Choose a Nurse Practitioner?
Nurse Practitioners are also trained to promote health and prevent disease through comprehensive health care and education. More and more people are choosing a Nurse Practitioner for their regular health care provider because Nurse Practitioners are highly trained health professionals who:
- take time to listen to you and your family's worries and concerns
- explain the details of health problems, medications, and other topics to help you understand how to take care of yourself
- provide individualized care
- work in collaboration with physicians and other health professionals to insure that you receive the best possible health care
- really care about you, your health, your family, and the community you live in
- treat you when you are sick
- teach you how to care for yourself when ill and how to stay healthy
TNP is working to increase access to healthcare for all Texans by removing unnecessary barriers. Click here to view the Legislative Priorities of Texas Nurse Practitioners.
Resources - Brochures, Flyers and Posters
What's an NP bilingual brochures are available for purchase at our online store. In addition, TNP offers What's NP poster and flyer which is available for purchase at our online store as well. The poster is available in 3 versions 1.
Laminated-English; Unlaminated-English and Laminated English on one side and Spanish on the other side. Click here to order.